Thursday, October 7, 2010

Por mi Princessa

Ahhhhh! Here you go Princess:

Yesterday was a gloomy day en el ciudad de Bs Ar (the city of Bs Ar). We, or should I say Shonjon, woke up late…We hustled and bustled but luckily made it to class on time! Perfecto! After class, we walked to San Nicolas, which is the political district here. We saw the casa de judicial (judicial house), el congresso (the Congress), el synagoga mas grande (the biggest Synagogue in Argentina), el obelisco (a big momument), and la avenida 9 de Julio (the WIDEST street in the world- it has 16 lanes with countless of other streets leading into the avenida).

Jaja (haha)---Since we’ve arrived in this magnificent country, our hunger levels have drastically dropped…I know it’s not an excuse but we’re constantly on the run experiencing our new home. So last night we decided it was about time to check out the grocery store and begin eating like normal people. If anyone has been to Mexico, the store we went to last night was a replicate of Aurrera (Por mi familia (for my family): please don’t laugh because to this day I still have no idea how to pronounce slash spell it…so to me that’s the name of la tienda (the store)!)

After making a combo bowl of quaker oat squares and choco krispies this morning, Shonjon and I walked to a quaint coffee shop up the street. I ordered a cold coffee (by cold I mean room temperature because there is no such thing as café con hielo (iced coffee). Also---The only down side of Argentina is that they only serve caffeinated coffee, which is detrimental for me! Just to give you a little example of the strength of their coffee--- today in class my hands and legs were legit shaking. I left class twice because I was so embarrassed, and when I came back my teacher stopped me and made me explain to her why I continued leaving class. Bottom line: That was my first and last coffee here in Argentina!

Have I mentioned that the coins here are worth a fortune? Not literally speaking but rather they’re crucial when taking buses…the buses only accept coins and NOT bills. So if you don’t have coins, well then you’re better off walking, cabbing, or taking the subte (subway). {Quick fact: the bus costs anywhere from 28-31cents and the subte costs 28cents…crazy!! That would never fly in the States. Princess you would love it!!}

Ok---After class, we took the bus with the intention of going to the cemetery where Evita Peron is buried. However, the light rain caused the “loose” cobble stones to be drenched in mud which encouraged us to go a different day. (I had deja-vu. Who remembers the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion? JAJA.) We wound up in the Museo de Bellas Artes (the fine arts museum) where we saw many paintings by Renoir, Picasso, Monet, Manet, Degas, Pollack, and hundreds of others. IT WAS FREE!! Fantastico!

We finally made it back to the house where we’re currently deciding what to make or go for dinner…any suggestions? Empenadas? Steak? I’m going out with some friends tonight to Palerma Soho (the Soho of Bs Ar)…

Hasta mañana chicos!

WAIT---DANI AND LIOR---have fun TONIGHT at your partAy! Wish I was there to dance…tango?!

6 comments:

  1. Loving every word!

    Fantastic tale about the coffee -- I could see you in class as if I was there.

    The anecdote reminded me of when we lived in Lawrence and you came for Shabbos; M"S we made hot chocolate cakes or hot chocolate in a mug or something like that, then we stayed up late watching a movie (The Nanny Diaries)and by the time we went to bed, between the late hour, the chocolate, the caffeine and the sugar, I was shaking and couldn't fall asleep.

    Can't wait to hear about what you're doing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is the princess, anyway? La ciudad, LA, no te lo olvides. 28 cents for the bus? Interesting. In Mexico City the lowest ever was ten cents for a subway ticket which worked out to $40 bucks to go around the world, that makes B.A. only an $80 round the world ticket. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM PRINCESS!! Thank you leah for that shout out, I was waiting for an update:) LOVE this bloggg. SOunds like you guys are having the best time.
    love your princess michal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading it! Keep it coming! I am so prouddd of you!! It is an amazing experience!! Have fun tonight baby girl!! Love you, miss you
    Sar

    ReplyDelete