Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fuerza Bruta

Ah….I haven’t written in days…the internet here blows but now it’s finally working. Warren---sorry we got disconnected from skype but congratz!! (haha, Care, you better like that shout out!)

Alright, where to begin---Fuerza Bruta, medical internship, an instrumental tango show, or how I’m bussing to Iguzau this afternoon??

Well for starters, has anyone heard of Fuerza Bruta? If so---isn’t it the coolest show you’ve ever been to? If not---click on the link below and when it comes to a city near you, GO! (Sroka, Dor, Lib, and Doni---you’re all in NY….GO see it!) http://www.fuerzabruta.net/website/fuerza_eng.html I honestly can’t explain what the show is only that it’s flipping weird but incredibly awesome. Also, don’t ask people what it is because when you go it’s best to be surprised! Let’s just say, at the end of the show everyone started jumping and dancing to the beat of the music and then in one section “rain” started pouring down. Of course being the person I am and love having fun, I headed straight for the “rain” and danced in it. Out of the 10 of us who went to the show, I was one of the only ones that went all out and got soaked or should I say DRENCHED! Everyone else watched from the sidelines---BORING! By the end of the night I was dripping in water but so well worth it!

I began my medical internship 2 days ago---let’s just say going on strike here is the norm. From the garbage men to doctors, it doesn’t matter who goes on strike because strikes are typical in Argentina. On the first day of our internship, we found out the doctors went on strike (AKA no work). As we were about to leave the hospital, an energetic woman introduced herself and asked if we wanted to see the hospital’s museum (we said yes because it would have been rude to say no). For the first half of the tour, the museum was interesting because she told us the development of medicine in regards to the Rivadavia Hospital (that’s where we’re working). However, she kept on talking for a solid 75+ minutes and let’s be real it wasn’t that appealing…I just wanted to leave!

For the next 2 weeks we’re going to be observing and participating in the pediatric ward. Our boss (only for the next 2 weeks) is Julio…how to describe Julio, well that’s just asking too much! He’s pretty much an arrogant, tough Porteno…it’s good to be tough back to him but not too tough because his temper is short like reallllly short; aside from that, he’s hilarious. He loves jokes and making fun of people…ex: he hates Peruvians, because apparently they are all liars and never tell the truth...oh Julio. He refuses to speak to us in English and only speaks to us in Castellano…I’m so happy about that because after all that’s why I’m here!! Also, best part---he loves saying that we’re from Yankeelandia but in Castellano there is no pronunciation of the “Y” meaning the “Y” turns into a “SH” sound. Jajaja…so when he says Yankeelandia he actually says Shankeelandia…maybe you have to hear him say it to think it’s funny!

Last night, my school (UBA- University of Buenos Aires) took everyone out for an instrumental tango show. Last minute I decided to go by myself, and I was so happy I went because the show was worth it. Even though it was only the band playing without the actual dancers, it was incredible. Each musician played with a great deal of intensity and emotion. I’m definitely going back there soon…

Alright, so today’s the big day…I’m taking the micro (cross-country bus) to one of the world’s most famous waterfalls…Iguazu Falls. Alright, I have to go finish packing because I’m leaving in 2 hours…wish me luck on the bus ride!!

18 hours here I come!!

2 comments:

  1. Shankeelandia!!! AHHHHH That is sooo funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you here in Shankeelandia!!! But we are so thrilled you are having the time of your life. Kudos for you for making this experience and reality. And thanks for writing the blog for us to live vicariously through your adventures!

    ReplyDelete