Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Arrived in Bs Ar

Sarah’s engagement party was Saturday night; I packed for Argentina 4 hours before my flight; and I arrived in Miami on time for my scheduled flight to Buenos Aires. What could possibly be better? Well, try this: I literally hiked to my gate and found out that either my flight was cancelled or delayed. That is something that would only happen to me because after all I think I’m in the hall-of-fame for worst flight experiences. However, after switching airlines, I finally reached Buenos Aires!


I met Shoni at “World Car” where we took a taxi to our student residence house, which is by far amazing and LOUD. (lets hope we get some sleep!) Five minutes after we parked our bags in our room, we raced to catch the 12 bus to attend our first Spanish class. In class we took an oral exam, which we placed in level 3---sorry Mom, I’ll move up soon! Also, as a side note---rule #1 in Castellano (Argentinian Spanish) the double “L” is not pronounced as a “Y” as it would in “Espanol” but rather its pronounced as a “SH/CH.” Today in class, I said to my teacher, “Ella (eYa) es mi amiga de esceula.” She immediately corrected me by saying, “No, eSHa es su amiga de escuela!” My face turned like a tomato but was proud to getting corrected!  


After learning my lesson in class, Shoni and I walked to the subway and headed back to the Road House for orientation. We met with Nick, the program coordinator, and he told us the important ins-and-outs/dos and don’ts of Bs Ar. He even gave us 2 free tickets for tango lessons…what could be better? There are tons of people from Australia, America, England, Holland and other countries in the house.  I’ve learned so many amazing things about Argentina so far. This country has impressed me so much and I’ve only been here for less then 24 hours! I wonder what other great things are to come…?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I LOVE your blog. You are a great writer. I love the line "I think I’m in the hall-of-fame for worst flight experiences."

    I enjoyed reading your description of Spanish class.

    Let me know how the tango lessons go! Keep posting. I'll be checking your blog every day!

    ReplyDelete