Thursday, October 14, 2010

La Bomba de Tiempo

Twenty minutes after we came back from a long day in Tigre, a bunch of us went to La Bomba de Tiempo (drum show). Apparently the barrio where the drum show was held is very dangerous…(at least that’s what our cab driver told us), but that didn’t stop us---we just wanted to experience what every Argentine or expat our age raves about (…it ended up being one of the most incredible experiences of my life).

We walked into a huge "warehouse" that resembled a building under construction because let’s just say it was extremely old, rundown, and just ugly…But the appearance of the venue didn’t bother anyone. As I got closer to the show, I heard the beats of ALL the drums and instantly knew I was going to have a great time. There were around 17 drummers beating to their drums. Back in the day, I played the African drums (and for those who don’t know I love reggae), but nothing compares to the uniqueness of these free-spirited drummers.

The room was completely occupied by hippies and dancers all in there 20’s---it was amazing because whether you had dreads, wearing flowy skirts or scarves, piercings and tattoos (in god knows which places), clean-cuts, holding a beer or maybe 2 in your hands (or other things)---it was incredible to see how everyone bounced, jumped, and danced to the beat. No one looked at you to see if you were dancing normally (in most cases not) because this was the type of show you let your hands loose and dance to the beat (and literally be Caa---Razy!)

Honestly, this was my type of concert (Mom, I wish you were here! You would’ve loved the scene, all the people, and of course the dancing)…it was a great workout! I, literally, loved feeling the beat and rhythm throughout my body, and the ambiance in the room was unbeatable (haha no pun intended). Dancing (or jumping) up and down has never made me feel so free in my life. It was one of the only times that I was able to dance crazy (fine, Doni and Lib ignore that comment because you’ve seen me dance in and out of the apartment…clearly that’s not true but you get the point…haha)! Anyways, there were hundreds of people at the concert, and everyone danced so differently from the next. I loved being in this environment!

I don’t want to say this was a "religious" spiritual moment in my life because it wasn’t, but it was definitely a moment where I could just connect with myself. I was able to act and be the person who I am without being the only crazy person dancing in weird ways in the crowd. I’ve never felt so free in my life; I didn’t have to worry about anything but closing my eyes and dancing with my friends! Also, it was amazing how everyone felt the same way as I did and didn’t want the night to end.

The show lasted for a few hours, and it was jammed packed. La Bomba de Tiempo performs every Monday night at Konex Theater, and I know I'll be a frequent dancer there…Honestly, if you’re into the whole hippy, free-spirited ambiance and being crazy at Phish, chilling at Dave, or beating at Eminem concerts---you have to go to a show here because it’s impossible to not have a good time!
 
Here's a short video clip of La Bomba de Tiempo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONMv_i41Ts&feature=related

ENJOY!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wish I was there to see you dance like that ahha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!

    Amazing details. Thank you so much for writing this. Feel like I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! These are unique experiences and I am so happy for you! Dancing free and learning about a new culture is some of the best ways to experience life! Keep it up soul sister! Love ya!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete