Thursday, December 23, 2010

Biking in Bariloche


I don’t care what people say- biking through mountains is definitely not an easy task to fulfill. While we were in Bariloche we decided to partake in a 27Km bike ride (18-20 miles) through the mountains. (Side noteà When I’m home in the summers, I usually go on 15-20 mile bike rides and barely break a sweat (ok- that’s clearly an exaggeration) but the point is these bike rides are not strenuous.) The bike ride we encountered in Bariloche definitely did not fall under the category of leisure bike rides. We primarily rode uphill or downhill and by uphill I mean we walked our bikes up steep mountains and prayed to reach the peak so we could cruise down these drastic hills. (Yes, we pretty much paid 65 pesos to walk our bikes…but it was definitely worth the price.) Flat roads simply weren’t part of the equation on this biking excursion.

We couldn’t have asked for a better day to go biking. The bright sun shined down on the glimmering water and snowcapped mountains which made the day perfect. It was really cool because there were 7 designated look-out points to observe the views…we obviously stopped 28 other times…or more…but these “resting points” captured the most beautiful views of Bariloche. The glistening sun, radiant snowcapped mountains, clear-blue waters, and cloudless skies were magically placed in each view point. It was unreal. Every where I turned I kept on thinking I was in a different world---A world that only focused on the beauty and simplicity of nature because after all that was the world I was living in at that exact moment.

Peddling was, unquestionably, a challenge that day. The altitude, the scorching sun, and continuously walking our bikes up steep mountains did not make for an easy day; however, it was certainly an accomplishing adventure. The amount of laughter I (and we) exerted that day was unreal. I don’t think I’ve laughed that hard since Mach Hach (my summer program in Israel) or my NCSY days with Alana! Literally it got to the point when Mayber and I physically couldn’t bike nor walk our bikes- We “fell” on the side of the road so many times due to laughter (and mainly because we were out of breath and watching her use her inhaler was hilarious….I guess I was jealous because I was in major need of a puff, but couldn’t find mine…I probably lost it!) Jajaj! It got to the point when people who were walking walked faster than us (even when we rode our bikes…sad but true). It was as if we metamorphosed into snails and turtles. Something was definitely in the air that day because we uncontrollably lost it when Mayber said, “Now I know what a mule feels like.” Sauntering up mountains and shlepping our bikes was definitely brutal but it allowed for a great bonding day.

As the day went on, we remembered how the bike rental shop warned us by the last 7Km of the route the traffic drastically increases as the day progresses. The validity of that statement couldn’t be truer. Lena and I were extremely wiped, and I didn’t realize I started zigzagging on the street. All of a sudden I heard the obnoxious sounds of an annoyed man blasting his horn. It was the style of honking only a loud semi-truck could exert; however, it came from an old, beat up Chevrolet. How that was possible is still unfathomable to me? I was oblivious and didn’t pay attention to the honking and assumed he was honking at a different car. Lena was biking a few feet ahead of me and thought it was directed at her, but she turned around and saw me in the middle of the street and signaled me to move over. The guy in the Chevrolet rolled down his window and cursed the life out at us and continued driving. Yep, he was clearly honking at me. Oh well. Once again, all Lena and I could do was hysterically laugh. (Haà Dad, I know you’re not laughing right now but at the time it was hilarious.) I know it was the wrong reaction but something that day made us uncontrollably laugh.

After almost dying from the car, we finally made it back to the rental shop. So, remember Hott-Nick? The guy from the hike? Well, he also decided to do the bike ride and left around the same time as we did. Shockingly, at the end of the day he handsomely rode into the rental shop (looking perfect) at the same time as us. We automatically thought wow, here’s hott-Nick, who is clearly fit, he started and ended the bike ride at the same time as us…I guess we weren’t slow after all. I can’t believe we actually thought that because here was the main difference: Hott-Nick went on an hour excursion and did the chair lift (which takes an extra 30 minutes) all while we were still biking on the route. I guess we were slow…

At the end of the day we conquered this demanding bike ride (at least we thought it was) and had an amazing day. We laughed, saw dreamlike views, and made the best out of the day. If you’re in Bariloche (in the summer time) doing this strenuous bike ride is worth it…just bring your inhaler and a giant water bottle! You probably won’t even think it’s hard, after all Hott-Nick thought it was simple. Try it…


No comments:

Post a Comment