Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ritoque


Pacific Ocean
The One Dirt Road



Ritoque in a nutshell is this: no TV, no Internet, no communication with the outside world (sorry Rents---it was great not talking to you guys for a few days!)…what could be better? Nothing. Simply nothing.

The only way to reach Ritoque is by taking a bus to Quintero then cabbing or hitchhiking to this one block-radius of a town, which is along the Pacific Ocean. I can’t describe how small Ritoque is. There are no restaurants, pharmacies, nor grocery stores. Truth: there is one restaurant and it is only open on weekends. Aside from that, if you need food and such, then you have to hitchhike into town.  In total, the dirt road (Ritoque) consisted of 7 beach houses and one magnificent, cozy hostel: Ritoque Raices.

Ritoque Raices isn’t your typical hostel. It is more of a beach house maintained by 30 year old surfers. Seriously, what a life?! I wish I could be like them when I grow up…I just need to learn how to surf first.

If you’re not hitchhiking into town to buy food, which is the only reason to go to Quintero, then the only thing to do is relax on the beach or make bonfires. Every morning I woke up smelling like the nights previous bonfire…love it. Between hearing the crisp waves along the Pacific and buying divine bread from the Bread Man is what I call a chill time. In fact- it was a major chill session with other goodies involved too. Ha! I was only there for a couple days but I would strongly suggest if you’re going to make a stop in Quintero, then it is a must to spend 4-5 days in Ritoque. You do have to be the chiller type of person though or else you’ll die…NO BBMs amigos!

Ritoque was such a unique place- A place away from the world; a place for you to forget what’s going on in your life; a place to think about only the present. Even though I spent a short time there, I really connected with it and appreciated its simplicity. 


Ritoque Raices
Bonfire
                                                                                              




No comments:

Post a Comment