Monday, November 1, 2010

Obstetrics

I was taking a nap right now when Angelica (the cleaning lady) thought it would be funny to wake me up to clean my room. Rule: it’s not funny to wake people up when they’re sleeping! Honestly, I didn’t really have an option because let’s get real, who doesn’t want to have a clean room? I pretty much flew out of bed when she said she was going to clean…yes, I’m still half asleep but I think having a clean room beats sleeping.

Yesterday, I walked to the Recoleta street fair where there were vendors selling all kinds of jewelry, accessories, shoes, scarves, every type of leather item possible, and more. I felt really cultural there because in the middle of the lawn there was an Argentinean band performing with the most unique instruments and they carried unreal beats. I liked Recoleta’s street fair more than San Telmo’s market because Recoleta’s fair was smaller and had a real local feel to it.

Later that night, some of us went to the movies. I went to see the Town and the ticket was 25 pesos which is around $6…ahhhh I love how everything in this country is so cheap…you actually feel like you aren’t wasting your money here…I probably still am but that’s a different story.  Oh my god, it was hilarious I came back to my house after the movies, and for some reason the electricity was out. It was alright because it was late so I went straight to sleep but they didn't fix it till this morning...my food wasn't happy though, I had to throw away a lot of it…it was so bizarre.

Today, I began shadowing an obstetrician (maternity doctor)…I like this ward a lot better then pediatrics. The doctor who I’m shadowing now is really serious but she explains everything to us where as Julio (the pediatrics doctor) was plain old crazy. The stories I have about Julio are insane…last week this chubby 10 year old girl had an appointment and when she walked in his office, he responded, “Hola Gorda” (Hi Fatty)…seriously, that’s not allowed…I was raging, I just wanted to yell at him and give the girl a hug. But I’m done with Julio so it’s alright. Dr. Rosa (the new Dr.) wants us to be active with the patients…this one woman walked in today and she was 36 weeks pregnant---seriously at week 36 you minus as well check yourself into the hospital. The doctor told her she started contracting and she’s probably going to give birth sometime today. Her face was priceless.

Oh my god I forgot about thisà a 21 year old girl walked in the office alone, and we did an ultrasound on her. She became really emotional and started tearing up a little bit. I felt so lucky watching her reaction because giving birth is so powerful. I’m happy I was there because she didn’t have anyone there to share this touching experience with. When she looked at me, I gave her a really big smile (I hope it was comforting)…ahhhhhh.

I just love this time of my life. I love being here. I love all of my experiences. I love this culture. I love my friends. I love Spanish. I love everything about my life!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. "Last week this chubby 10 year old girl had an appointment and when she walked in his office, he responded, “Hola Gorda” (Hi Fatty)…seriously, that’s not allowed…I was raging, I just wanted to yell at him and give the girl a hug."

    I CANNOT imagine that happening here in the US. But if it had to happen, I can picture it through your description. Wow!

    Love the empathy you felt with the woman who was getting her sonogram taken.

    ReplyDelete